Criminal Mischief Defense in Houston: Brazoria, Ft. Bend, Galveston, Harris & Montgomery Counties
A Texas charge of Criminal Mischief can result when someone intentionally damages another person’s property. There are a wide range of acts which fall under this offense with an equally wide range of penalties. For example, graffiti is a misdemeanor resulting in a $500. On the other hand, causing damage over $200, 000 is a felony and can land someone a 99 year prison term. No matter what the extent of damage was allegedly caused, it is imperative that your rights are protected by a knowledgeable Houston Criminal Mischief attorney. The penalties for criminal mischief break down as follows:
- Less than $50 in damage or causes substantial inconvenience is a Class C misdemeanor with a fine of $500.
- Damage ranging from $50 to $500 is a Class B misdemeanor, resulting in 180 days in jail and a $2000 fine.
- Damage costing between $500 & $1,500 is a Class A misdemeanor. The penalty for this is up to 1 year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
- Damage between $1,500 & $20,000, or under $1500 if it involved a fire or explosion to an inhabited building is a State Jail Felony. This includes damage to a fence used to keep livestock in. The punishment ranges from 180 days to 2 years in jail and carries a fine up to $10,000.
- At more than $20,000, the penalties are classified as 1st through 3rd Degree Felonies, depending on the damage that was done.
Houston Criminal Mischief Defense
At the Law Office of Greg Tsioros, we are ready to aggressively defend our clients against criminal mischief charges. Our staff has extensive experience in the Houston area and can create a custom defense to protect your rights and your freedom. In many cases involving minimal damage, we are successful at negotiating with the complainant or property owner to drip the charges in exchange for the offender personally paying for or repairing the damages.
Sometimes, a more defensive strategy is necessary for more severe charges. Our staff will analyze all of the evidence while searching for flaws in the prosecution. In some cases, the investigating officers may have circumvented certain procedures and the evidence can be suppressed. Also, the complainant may have made an error in their statements or estimate in the actual damages that occurred. Greg Tsioros can effectively challenge the state’s evidence and create the reasonable doubt necessary to find you not guilty. If a conviction is inevitable, we can negotiate for the least severe sentence available under the law.
Criminal Mischief Defense – Greg Tsioros
If you have found yourself facing criminal mischief charges, contact a Houston defense attorney at the Law Office of Greg Tsioros. We will get started on your defense immediately in order to protect your rights, freedom, and reputation.