Reckless Driving Defense Attorney in Houston: Brazoria, Ft. Bend, Galveston, Harris & Montgomery Counties
What is Reckless Driving?
Texas law defines reckless driving as “operating a vehicle with willful or wanton safety of persons or property.” If you violated a traffic law, and the police officer believed you were intentionally driving in a dangerous manner, you could be charged with reckless driving.
It is important to note that a reckless driving charge can occur not only while operating a vehicle on a public road or highway but also in parking lots, garages, and even private roads and areas open to the public. Some of the most common examples of reckless driving are:
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Driving significantly over the speed limit
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Racing with other vehicles
- Distracted driving such as texting while driving
- Passing a stopped school bus.
Penalties for Reckless Driving
If convicted, the penalties for a reckless driving include up to 30 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $200.
Additional consequences of a conviction may include:
- Points on your driving record
- The suspension and/or revocation of your Texas driver’s license
- Community service
- Restitution to the victim(s)
- Traffic school
- Court-ordered counseling and/or treatment
- Increased car insurance rates and premiums
- Loss of car insurance coverage, and/or
- Civil liability for harm caused to another person or property.
Depending on the incident, additional violations can also occur, such as hit-and-run, speeding, street racing, and driving while intoxicated. If reckless driving causes death or injury, charges of manslaughter or homicide are possible.
To be convicted of reckless driving, the state has to prove that your reckless driving was willful and deliberate. A skilled attorney who understands the strategies to defend these charges can make it difficult for the prosecutor to satisfy this burden of proof.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has recently been charged with reckless driving, you need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. At the Law Office of Greg Tsioros, we are prepared to handle your case.
Contact us today to get a free evaluation of your case.