DWI – First Offense
DWI Defense Attorney in Houston: Brazoria, Ft. Bend, Galveston, Harris & Montgomery Counties
Being charged with driving while intoxicated is a complex and serious legal matter. A first offense DWI is a misdemeanor in most jurisdictions, but it has severe consequences. The possible penalties get much more serious with multiple DWI offenses. A driver is charged with a DWI when a police officer has probable cause to pull him over and reasonable suspicion that the driver is impaired. Probable cause is established by behaviors like speeding, swerving or running red lights. Evidence of impairment is gathered with field sobriety tests and breath or blood samples that show a blood alcohol content (BAC) above .08.
The Law Office of Greg Tsioros provides the aggressive, skilled criminal defense needed if you are facing DWI or DUI charges. Contact attorney Greg Tsioros today to schedule your initial consultation.
Punishments for Your First DWI Conviction
There are several punishments that come with a first DWI offense. DWI misdemeanors are dealt with more harshly than most other misdemeanor offenses. The punishments vary and are based on the circumstances of a case, but certain punishments are common to most cases. These include:
- Jail time: Periods of incarceration range from three to 180 days
- Fines and fees: Fines, known as “surcharges,” can add up to thousands of dollars
- License revocation: Driving privileges are suspended for six months or longer
- Personal restrictions: Drug tests, alcohol education classes and home breathalyzers are often required
Additional Penalties For first time DWIs
Other consequences associated with a first DWI conviction can occur outside of direct legal punishments. These can include:
- Higher insurance rates or difficulty obtaining new insurance
- Loss of employment or difficulty obtaining new employment
- Public disapproval or loss of respect among family and friends
- A DWI cannot be expunged from a criminal record at a later time.
Possible Legal Defenses
It is possible to have some of these penalties reduced or mitigated with the help of an experienced DWI attorney. A DWI lawyer knows which areas of the prosecution’s case to scrutinize for inaccuracies, incomplete information or defects. For example, a DWI attorney can demonstrate that the arresting officer did not have probable cause to pull over the defendant’s vehicle. If this is proven, the arrest is rendered invalid. The attorney can also show that the arresting officer failed to administer the field sobriety test properly. This can cause the officer’s evidence of impairment to be inadmissible in court.
Contact a DWI Attorney in Houston, TX
Only an experienced, qualified DWI attorney has the knowledge and skills to handle a DWI first offense case. Greg Tsioros is a DWI attorney based in Houston who has a record of accomplishment in representing people facing a DWI accusation for the first time. Mr. Tsioros has represented clients from across Houston for a wide array of DWI-related cases. To prevent the loss of driving privileges and other negative consequences, it is important to secure legal representation as soon as possible. When a person’s future is at stake, there is no room to compromise when choosing an attorney.
For a free consultation and case review, the Law Office of Greg Tsioros can be contacted at (832) 752-5972.
**Recent Updates to Texas DWI Law**
New circumstances in which officers can forcibly take blood WITHOUT A WARRANT:
- accident with mere bodily injury or other person transported to hospital
- arrest for DWI with child passenger
- if officer has reliable information the offense can be prosecuted as a felony
Take the first step to putting your legal matters behind you.
Call our office at (832) 752-5972, email us or contact us online today.